Monday, February 27, 2012

Meet Jamie Cheever - Pro Runner with Team USA MN

Hello Everyone. Thank you for checking out my blog. I am a professional runner with Team USA Minnesota. My favorite event is the steeplechase, although I love a good mile too. I am going to graduate school part time at the University of Minnesota for my Masters in Social Work. After my running career, I hope to lead an agency which works with sexual violence through education, advocacy, support, and prevention.

Although I am a private person, I decided to start a blog in order to share my running and school adventures. I accomplished the first goal I set for myself this season – to make the NACAC team through placing well at the U.S. 8k Cross Country Championships.

The 8k race, which was held on February 12th, was freezing. The weather was perfect because it was identical to the Minnesota weather I’ve been training in. I got a little too excited the 2k of the race; I went out right behind Molly Huddle. Most people saw how fast the 1k split was (my dad said 3:15) and slowed down a bit, but I kept right on until the 2k. However, I held on, and finished 6th place and PR’d through 6k and 8k.

I finished up the weekend with an awesome long run on gravel trails through Forest Park. The people who work at the hotel we stayed at said the park is 500 acres bigger than Central Park. In the park are a couple museums, an outdoor opera house, a botanical garden, a zoo, a few small lakes, and, of course, an awesome cross country course. I am excited for next year when the race returns to St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment