Thursday, June 7, 2012

Indiana 800m

I’m Indianapolis for the week to get in a couple of fast tune-up races before Olympic Trials.  The Indiana Invaders Track Club is hosting a two week series of mid-distance races to help elite runners get fast times. 

I’m racing the 800m tonight and the 1500m on Saturday.   I am a bit nervous because I haven’t run an 800m in a long time, since my last year of track eligibility at the University of Minnesota in 2009, when I was part of the 4x800m relay team at Drake Relays.  Even at that meet, I hadn’t run an 800m in a while, although I came into college as an 800m runner.  I remember going out in a 60 second 400m, and closing in a 70 second 400m.  Yikes!  I hope I can run more even splits tonight.
Again, I am very lucky to have a free place to stay for the week.  The Indiana Invaders have a couple of houses, and my training partner, Elizabeth Yetzer, and I are sharing a bed in the living room of a small house.  Kaylie Glen, a sophomore at Oklahoma State, is sleeping in another bed in the living room.  Our host, 800m runner Jarret Newby, just moved in a few days ago, so not everything in the house has found a home yet, and the house is missing a couple helpful pieces of furniture, such as a table.  But we are figuring it out and having an adventure. 

Our Home for the Week
I am happy to be traveling with Elizabeth, who was my roommate this past year at our house-sitting gig.  She is running the 1500m in hopes of qualifying for the Trials.  Kaylie is running the 1500m in order to qualify for the U-23 NACAC Track Meet as a Canadian.

No comments:

Post a Comment