Friday, August 3, 2012

Morton Mile



I flew to Dublin to run a mile as my last race in Europe.  I was hoping to break my of 4:39, which I set as a junior in college, and the 1500m I ran in Ninove gave me confidence I would be able to do so.  Although I had fun hanging out at the meet with Team USA MN teammate Gabe Anderson, and new running friends Katie Makey, Aisha Praught, Lennie Waitte, and Lemlem Belekrit, the race did not go as planned.  Unfortunately, I came into the race emotionally and psychologically drained.   Before the race, I had to deal with continued negative actions from my recent ex-boyfriend.  At the same time, I doubted my ability to run well in the race.  There were six or seven 2012 Olympians in the race; this being there last tune-up before the start of the games.  I had been racing with Aisha and Lennie in the Belgium races, so my plan was to stick with them, but even during the first 400m, my body was having trouble hanging on to the back of the pack.  I ended up running 4:42.  I was disappointed, but I’m looking forward to having another crack at the distance in a couple road races coming up – The GNC Liberty Mile on August 17th in Pittsburg, and the Minnesota Mile on September 6th in Duluth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment