Thursday, October 18, 2012

And I'm Back in the Game


My break from running was wonderful.  I thought about exercising as little as possible.  I watched too much television, stayed up too late, and didn’t do any cooking.  All things I try to do the opposite of while I’m in training the rest of the year.  The only downside was, since I took my break much later than usual, I missed two beautiful weeks of fall running while sitting in my basement.  And I got my wisdom teeth pulled and was on pain medication for the past two weeks. 

Taking some time completely off does not fit in with my philosophy of living a balanced and disciplined life while growing mentally, physically, and spiritually.  However, I get so burnt out traveling so often and training and competing at a high level, letting everything go for a couple weeks is just enough to remind me why I love working so hard the rest of the year. 

After taking my break, I ran a couple week of mileage.  The first day I ran around Lake Harriet, and I do not think I have felt so miserable while running so slow around the lake since I was a freshman in high school.  This past week I started doing work-outs, and I feel rejuvenated.  I’m still not running very fast or particularly far, but my work-out times are quite a bit faster than where I have been starting out the past two falls after taking a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment