Monday, February 25, 2013

15k, Coming Right Up


I decided a couple months ago I would run the 15k road race championships.  A trip to Jacksonville during Minnesota’s snowiest month? Yes, please.  A reason to taper between U.S. Cross Country and the track season? Sounds like a good idea.  Another team competition with Meghan, Ladia, and Mckenzie as teammates? I know we can rock it.  I was thinking the event would be a great way for me to get a taste of a longer race while doing a great strength workout before track.

But now that the race is a couple weeks away, and the entry list is out (http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calendar/2013/USA-15k/Status.aspx), I am not as confident in my decision to run the race.  The race is almost twice as far as the farthest distance I have raced so far – an xc 8k, and the field is incredibly deep.  Richard Fannin, Gate River Race Director, sent out some stats about the women’s field this year:  

Women field

·  29 women with 15:59 or better at 5,000

·  36 women with 33:59 or better at 10,000

·  31 women with 1:15:59 or better at half-marathon

 

Yikes! Those are a lot of fast women.

Runner’s Space (http://www.runnerspace.com/) will be there, so check out the race on March 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment