Saturday, August 10, 2013

Belgium Sight-Seeing

Once I was able to get over to Belgium, the timing between races was such that I could be more of tourist.  I took day trips to Bruges, Mechelen, and Antwerp, and I spend a weekend in Brussels.
 
Bruges
 
Shops and housing in main square.
 
Bruges is a port city with lots of picturesque waterways.  The city is also considered to be very romantic, but, walking around alone, I wasn't feeling it.
 
Madonna and Child was sculpted by Michelangelo, and is unusual because it is thought to be the only sculpture to have left Italy within his lifetime.  Michelangelo sculptures are still rarely seen outside of Italy, so it was quite a treat.
 
Mechelen
 
Opsinjoorke is Mechlen's mascot.  He is carried in the city's annual religious procession.  He symbolizes drunkards and womanizers, and is punished by being tossed by a sheet into the air.
 
Apparently at some point all the major cities in Belgium created a sculpture of a local hero.  Mechelen was the only city to pick a woman.  I'm not sure who she is, but I like it.
 
Antwerp
 
Antwerp has been decorated with the title of most beautiful train station.
 
Graffiti art.

No comments:

Post a Comment