Friday, October 4, 2013

Brooks Beast!!!


Please excuse my long absence from my blog.  I have been pursuing the next stage of my running career and now I have exciting news:

I am moving to Seattle in a week to join the Brooks Beasts team!

This is a big change for me.  I grew up in Minneapolis, I attended the University of Minnesota, and I have run with Team USA Minnesota for the past two and a half years.  My parents, grandparents, and numerous friends and support systems are in Minneapolis.  I love everything about then Twin Cities, but I think this is a perfect opportunity to do something new, take a risk, and try to become the best athlete I can be.

I have been trying to leave Minnesota for a while.  When I was looking at colleges, my parents told me I had to leave the state.  My mom ran at South Dakota State University in Brookings, South Dakota, the town she grew up in.  While she had a positive experience at the school, my Dad grew a lot from leaving home (also Brookings), and going to Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut.  I agreed with their logic, and visited colleges around the nation, but my best official visit, by far, was with the University of Minnesota Track and Field team.  So there you go.  When I graduated from college, I had been mentally and physically sick for the last two years of college.  When I decided I wanted to try to continue to run competitively, Team USA Minnesota took a big chance on me by letting me on the team when no one else would have wanted me.  I am so thankful for my time on my team.  I have been able to develop as an athlete along with my wonderful teammates.  I will miss everyone very much.

The Brooks Beast team has a lot to offer.   I had the opportunity to visit the team for a few days in mid-September, and enjoyed meeting all my future teammates.  The team is hope to a very talented group of women: Katie Mackey, Brie Felnagle, Lindsey Allen, Jessica Tebo, Deborah Maier, Phoebe Wright, and Erica Moore.  I can’t wait to get my butt kicked in practice.  Danny Mackey, the coach, has coaching the team as his full-time job, which is a rare for professional teams.  As a result, we are able to meet six times a week, and Danny is present to oversee everything from track work-outs to weight-lifting.  Brooks is investing a large amount into the team from a large travel budget to a winter training trip and summer racing trip, medical support, and nutritional help. Plus the winter won’t be nearly as bad!
                                                                          New Teammates

I am busy packing, but I will continue to update about my new situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment